Rover Ruckus (2018-2019 Season)

We made few changes between second qualifier and States, but one major change was to finally implement a method to score in the lander. In States, we performed fairly well, getting 6th place out of 36 in the round robin, but our team’s season ended there as we did not reach the finals. Overall, our team had a great season.

The 2018-2019 season was our first full experience in the FIRST Tech Challenge. After watching the kickoff, the team quickly came up with a few preliminary ideas, including strategies such as moving into the crater for block pickup, picking up blocks from outside the crater, and using an “escalator” to score blocks from inside the crater. We used Blocks for coding and planned to use a spinning wheel for intake. At this point, the method of scoring in the lander was not planned.

Early in the season, we used tank treads for movement to have more grip on the crater and a centralized cam for lifting and landing our robot. The intake mechanism was coming along but was clearly not going to be ready by the first competition. We decided to intake blocks while staying inside the crater, as picking up blocks from outside was too difficult to do in our remaining time, and the rules were updated to prevent scoring from inside the crater. 

The first competition went relatively well, and though we had difficulties in the round robin, we ended as the first pick of the winning alliance and moved on to the Massachusetts State Competition. 

Going into the second qualifier, we changed from tank treads to mecanum wheels, as they were both faster and more versatile and still able to enter the crater, and to switch to Android Studio. We were able to implement these changes in time for the next qualifier, and entered that competition a much improved team. 

In our second qualifier, we were very successful in the round robin due to our mecanum wheels enabling faster movement in autonomous to score more points. In addition, we were able to use our intake to score some extra points in TeleOp, and all in all we finished first in preparation for finals. In the end, we lost finals, but were already qualified for the state competition and began improvements for that competition.

We made few changes between second qualifier and States, but one major change was to finally implement a method to score in the lander. In States, we performed fairly well, getting 6th place out of 36 in the round robin, but our team’s season ended there as we did not reach the finals. Overall, our team had a great season.